Ms. Uma Shakthi, Dietitian
Dr.Mohan's Diabetes Specialities Center
- Obesity and constipation results from physical inactivity while back pain, neck pain and other spinal cord related disorders may be attributed to the constant sitting posture which may be referred to as Repetitive motion injuries (RMI). RMI are the illnesses or injuries that result from weeks, months and years of overuse of human joints.
- Insomnia and irregular sleep are the common disorders among such workers. While day shift workers get little sleep at night due to strenuous work, night shift workers rarely sleep during the day owing to noise and other disturbances from the surroundings.
- As these kind of jobs needs to be done in a centralized air-conditioned area, workers sweat less and drink less or no water during the whole day leading to the accumulation of toxic wastes on their body that are usually eliminated through sweat.
- Almost 10-12 hours of continuous strain may result in job stress. Job stress is felt when job requirements do not match the capabilities, resources or needs of the workers leading to fatigue, tension headaches, anxiety, irritability, depression and suppression of immune system.
- When one is constantly exposed to the radiation emitted by the LCD monitors, their eyes tend to become dry causing poor vision, which is generally called computer vision syndrome (CVS).
- Always prefer fruit and vegetable juices or salads instead of coffee, tea or carbonated drinks. Fruits and vegetables are beneficial in providing antioxidants, phyto-chemicals and fibre which are very much essential to provide relief from constipation, dehydration, fatigue, stress, etc. fruits like papaya, pineapple, dates, oranges, guava, mango and vegetables like carrot, beetroot, cucumber, bitter gourd and greens are useful in balancing abnormal hormone levels. Always prefer brightly colored fruits and vegetables that are rich in carotenoids, which are required to prevent vision problems.
- Do not take rice preparations often as they give more calories leading to weight gain. Take protein foods to normalize the overall metabolism.
- Do not take French fries, potato chips, and savories as snacks because they tend to accumulate fat and cause weight gain. Instead prefer a vegetable sandwich, soup or whole fruit, which is light as well as healthy.
- One can always bring food prepared at home like ragi porridge, oats porridge or barley water.
- Take regular breaks from watching computer screen. Close your eyes for a few minutes to revive retinal production inside the eyes. Focus on some object at a distance, which is green or yellow for a while as it soothes your eyes.
- Ideal sitting posture must be adopted. Keep your feet planted firmly on the floor or footstool to counterbalance the forces on lower back.
- Try to spend time with your family and friends to rejuvenate your mental health.